Following the destruction of Metropolis and the deaths of his wife Lois Lane, their unborn son, and his best friend Jimmy Olsen, all at the hands of the Joker, Superman establishes a new world order, causing heroes to stand in opposition to each other. A battle ensues between the forces of Superman's regime and those allied with Batman's rebellion, in alternate universe.
Like Mortal Kombat, Injustice: Gods Among Us is a 2D fighting game featuring numerous DC characters. Characters will be organized according to skill features: Power Users and Gadget Users. Each type can interact with their environments differently. All characters will have several unique abilities and special moves. The game will feature a single-player component in addition to multiplayer and tournament features.
The game also features the light, medium, and heavy attack array traditional to fighting games. These attacks can trigger various move sets, can chain together to form combos, and will gradually fill up the player's Super Meter. Characters will also have "Character Trait" buttons that activate unique fighting styles and abilities.
While modeled somewhat on Mortal Kombat, Injustice features a new blocking system more akin to Street Fighter and a new "Wager" system. During a combo, the defending player can activate it by pressing forward and X (A for Xbox 360). At this point, both players place a hidden bet using a portion of their super meters. The highest bidder wins the clash, either rewarding health or finishing off the devastating combo. The Wager immediately ends the combo and triggers unique character dialogue before initiating combat again.
Game Stages will feature destructible environments and character costumes will deteriorate over the course of the battle. Also in the style of Mortal Kombat, the characters will recieve notable battle damage, such as exposed muscle, although it will not reach the extremities of the aformentioned series. Some Stages will feature objects that players can use. The Batmobile, for example, can fire rockets at players in the Batcave location.
Injustice will feature a launch roster of twenty-four characters from the DC Comics universe, spanning from iconic characters like Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, to lesser-known characters such as Solomon Grundy.
The game contains twenty-four main playable characters . There will be 4 DLC characters. The first two were revealed as Lobo and Batgirl. There are also three additional characters, bringing the total to twenty-seven playable characters, one appears as a skin and the other two are only playable in certain missions.
The following characters are currently playable in the game so far:
- For Catwoman, Isis appears as a playable character in one of her missions.
- For Nightwing, Nightwing (Damian Wayne) appears as an alternate costume.
- For Raven, Trigon possessing Raven appears in one of her missions.
- For Joker, the Atom appears as a playable character in one of his missions.
Below is a list of non-playable characters confirmed for the game:
- The Riddler
- Killer Croc
- Tomar Re
- Abin Sur
- John Stewart
- Guy Gardner
- Atom Smasher
- Gorilla Grodd
- Katma Tui
- Martian Manhunter
- Hugo Strange
- The Atom
- Mister Terrific
- Red Arrow
Injustice: Gods Among Us had featured 15 stages.
The List below is all the Stages:
- Lobo: A Brawler; who can use his Chains for long ranged attacks. He uses a variety of chain and shot gun based attacks. His official realease date is May 7th, 2013 and he costs $4.99 (Free if you have the Season Pass).
- Red Son Pack: This pack comes with a costume for Superman, Wonder Woman and Solomon Grundy from the Red Son comics plus 20 Challenges based on the Red Son storyline. Get this by Pre-Ordering the game from GameStop.
- Arkham City Pack: This pack comes with a costume for Catwoman, Batman and The Joker from the Batman: Arkham City Video Game, It is unknown if it will have Bonus Challenges. Get this by buying the game from Wal-Mart.
- The "New 52" Costume Pack: This pack comes with a costume for Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman from the "New 52" Comic Series. Get this by Buying the Collector's Edition.
- Blackest Night Pack: This pack will include alternate skins from the coveted Blackest Night comic book story. The pack also includes a zombie mode, where every character is turned into the undead. Get this by pre-ordering the game at Amazon.de or Best Buy.
- "Arrow" Costume: Play as Green Arrow from the "Arrow" TV Show! Get this by being one of the first 5000 to vote for any Super Battle.
- "Season Pass": The Season Pass will be available when the game is released and will have Flashpoint Costumes of Wonder Woman, Deathstroke, and Aquaman. It will also come with 4 DLC characters. The only two DLC character revealed at the moment are Lobo and Batgirl. The other 2 are yet to be announced.
Injustice: Gods Among Us' companion mobile app with a single-player fighting game component was released on iTunes on March 29th. It is a free-to-play game that allows users to make in-app purchases. As characters progress and unlock content in either the full game or the mobile game, they will also unlock content for the other, rewarding players who play both components. Players can earn rewards on the mobile version by syncing with the console version and vice-versa by logging in to a WB ID.
Injustice: Gods Among Us was first announced on May 31, 2012, shortly before the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Developer Ed Boon revealed plans to offer depth and promised a rich amount of single-player content and layered features for tournament players. Similar to Boon's previous DC-related title, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, there are restrictions on how violent the game can be, though Boon states he is planning to push the T rating, replacing violence with "crazy, over-the-top action." 
There is a comic book series that serves as a prequel to the game that can be purchased digitally for $0.99 each issue, or $3.99 for a physical version.
- ↑ Warner Bros. announces Injustice: Gods Among Us, a new DC fighting game from NetherRealm - Joystiq
- ↑ DC Comics fighter Injustice set for 2013 - Gamespot
- ↑ Injustice: Gods Among Us - Interview w/ Ed Boon - Gamespot
- ↑ We’re Getting a DC Fighting Game From the Makers of Mortal Kombat - Kotaku
- ↑ In Injustice, Where Superman is Standing Matters a Lot. Really. - Kotaku
- ↑ Batman Can’t Be Decapitated in Injustice, Because There Are Limits - Kotaku